Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Title Page of the Book of Mormon

From time to time I hope to post ideas, links, citations, references to books, pictures, and so forth in connection with this year's study of The Book of Mormon.  The Book of Mormon is much too rich to make comments that are in any way worthy of its power and plainness, but even from a cursory peek at the Title Page I am lead to testify that this book is true.  It is what it claims to be, namely, another testament of Jesus Christ.  I know it is true.  As soon as I read the title page, the Spirit of God witnessed with my spirit that it contains the truth, the word of God, and the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Since it would be impossible to comment on every aspect of any portion of The Book of Mormon, I will just mention a few things that stood out to me in the Title Page.  Then I will link to Daniel Peterson's Patheos blog Sic et Non for insights by more experienced and more qualified students of The Book of Mormon.

What was impressed upon my heart and mind by the Holy Ghost first of all is that The Book of Mormon was indeed recorded, abridged, compiled, hid up, sealed, brought forth, interpreted and translated by the gift and power of God.

As I consider the people mentioned in the Title Page who were involved in the production and transmission of The Book of Mormon (Mormon, Nephi, Moroni, the Lord, the Gentile... Joseph Smith), and as I consider the peoples and audiences of The Book of Mormon (the people of Nephi, the Lamanites, Jew, Gentile, house of Israel, the people of Jared, the remnant of the House of Israel, their fathers, all nations), it is clear to me that this book contains what it claims to contain, namely, "the things of God."  

In other words, that which impressed me most about the Title Page is that to be understood, The Book of Mormon must be studied in the same manner in which it was produced, namely, under the influence of the Holy Ghost.  Anyone who studies The Book of Mormon with righteous desire, real intent and humble prayer can know by the power of the Holy Ghost that it is true. (Moroni 10:3-5)  What I gather from the Title Page is that there is a hierarchy of truth; some truths matter more than others.  Furthermore, whether it is to discover the truth concerning Jesus Christ, His Atonement, Salvation, and Eternal life or to whether it is to understand authorship, geographical setting, political organization, or literary nuances, the Holy Ghost is the most vital element in the unfolding of the truths that are embedded in The Book of Mormon.

This reminds me of something that Elder Maxwell once wrote:

"For my part, I am glad the book will be with us 'as long as the earth shall stand.' I need and want additional time. For me, towers, courtyards, and wings await inspection. My tour of it has never been completed. Some rooms I have yet to enter, and there are more flaming fireplaces waiting to warm me. Even the rooms I have glimpsed contain further furnishings and rich detail yet to be savored. There are panels inlaid with incredible insights and design and decor dating from Eden. There are also sumptuous banquet tables painstakingly prepared by predecessors which await all of us. Yet, we as Church members sometimes behave like hurried tourists, scarcely venturing beyond the entry hall to the mansion.

May we come to feel as a whole people beckoned beyond the entry hall. May we go inside far enough to hear clearly the whispered truths from those who have 'slumbered,' which whisperings will awaken in us individually the life of discipleship as never before."

I love this!  It is true.

For more insights and discussion on the Title Page of The Book of Mormon, see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment