Sunday, March 6, 2016

2 Nephi 4

The Psalm of Nephi.  Study this, and let it bring comfort to your heart.  Let your soul delight in the things of the Lord, and let your heart ponder continually upon the things of the Lord.  Place your trust in the Lord forever, and not in the arm of the flesh.  This psalm is a prayer.  Notice how Nephi, under the influence of the Holy Ghosts, remembers all of the things that the Lord has done for him.  The Holy Ghost brings to his remembrance everything that he has been taught, his visions, his blessings, being filled with the love of God unto the consuming of his flesh, the high mountains, and the condescensions of the Lord.  He remembers these moments of enlightenment and revelation, of inspiration and testimony, and he wonders why, after all of these blessings, he should ever yield to weakness or the sins that so easily beset him.  O wretched man that I am!  Nephi recognizes his fallen nature, but he trusts in the Lord, and prays mightily to Him.  Think of it.  Nephi's father Lehi had just died.  His brothers were rebelling against him and causing all manner of afflictions.  He had the mantle and the burden of his father.  He was the prophet-leader of his people, and would soon have to make the decision to separate from his brothers who would not hearken to the revelations of God.  Ponder this chapter, and ponder Nephi's prayer.  Nephi calls his upon his heart to rejoice and to pray.  He turns to the Lord in his afflictions, and he puts his trust in the Lord forever.  This is fervent and sincere prayer:

"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.

Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen." (2 Ne. 4:34-35)


No comments:

Post a Comment