Monday, January 11, 2016

1 Nephi 11

What is most joyous to the soul?

"And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.

And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul." (1 Ne. 11:22-23)

This chapter, like chapter 8 of First Nephi, is rich with the Spirit and with plain and precious truths.  I can't possibly do justice to this chapter, let alone any chapter in the Book of Mormon, but I can remember that certain key phrases stand out to me or give me pause for reflection.  Of the many beautiful things in this chapter, it was impressed upon my mind that Nephi saw the heavens open.  He records three times that he saw the heavens open.  

This reminded me of the blessings of paying tithing:

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10)

Nephi had the windows of heaven opened unto him.  He saw the heavens open.  These are blessings that are available to everyone, not just Nephi.

No comments:

Post a Comment