Thursday, January 21, 2016

1 Nephi 19

Nephi prophesies of the coming of Christ, His crucifixion, and the scattering and scourging of the Jews.  The Lord bears scourging, smiting, spitting, and suffering because of his loving-kindness and long-suffering towards the children of men.  Nephi's desire is to persuade  his people to remember the Lord their Redeemer, but he also speaks unto all the house of Israel.

Why does Nephi use the verb "speak" instead of "write"?  These words speak from the dust.  The words of prophets whose records we don't yet have access to: Zenos, Zenock, Neum.  Nephi teaches his brothers from the plates.  He teaches them of the doings of the Lord among people of old.  He teaches them from the books of Moses.  Remember verses 23 and 24:

"And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.

Wherefore I spake unto them, saying: Hear ye the words of the prophet, ye who are a remnant of the house of Israel, a branch who have been broken off; hear ye the words of the prophet, which were written unto all the house of Israel, and liken them unto yourselves, that ye may have hope as well as your brethren from whom ye have been broken off; for after this manner has the prophet written." (1 Ne. 19:23-24)

"And I, Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.

These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;

For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;

Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words." (D&C 18:33-36)


No comments:

Post a Comment