Friday, January 22, 2016

1 Nephi 20

The mercy of the Lord stands out to me:

"Nevertheless, for my name’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain from thee, that I cut thee not off.

For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

For mine own sake, yea, for mine own sake will I do this, for I will not suffer my name to be polluted, and I will not give my glory unto another." (1 Ne. 20:10-12)

The furnace of affliction.  I think that most of us have felt the heat of that furnace to some degree in our lives.  It is my understanding that the heat will only intensify.  But the furnace is a blessing.  It refines us.  It burns away the dross.  This reminds me of a favorite hymn:

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply.
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, thy dross to consume,
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine
." (How Firm a Foundation, verse 5, Robert Keen)

As children of God, we are golden.  When trials and afflictions burn, when the flame intensifies, we can be grateful, for the Lord is consuming our dross, purifying us, and refining the gold within us.


No comments:

Post a Comment